Sunday, January 16, 2011

Saratoga Top Tech

I'm following up with my solutions for mounting my cool new top to my car....

This first picture shows the top with the roller-style latches it came with, sitting next to the front bar from the earlier style top with it's latches:



I quickly ditched plan A of retrofitting my older style latches (and I was still worried about separation. Taking a cue from a couple of the new fiberglass top's mounting systems I decided to mount from the front aligmnent pin locations.





So I drilled through the Lexan and now have a carriage bolt snugged up on the top threaded through the captured bolt in the fiberglass support. It's not exactly elegant (but neither is the rest of my poor franken-Porsche) and it seems to be working very well.





Mounted in the car, I'll try to find something a little nicer, like a knob


Gratuitous shots on the test run:


So far I've put about 50 miles on the car w/ the top in place, a good portion of that was on the highway between 70 and 80mph. There is no lift or gap at the front whatsoever (and I have and old, much less than perfect front seal. There is wind noise but I have no frame of reference to know if it's more or less than a good (or bad) folding top.

So, while I reserve the right to update, revise or cry, in the future I'm hoping maybe I've posed a possible solution for some to make some of these aging, cool accessories continue to be functional.

The whole little family went out for dinner in the 911 this weekend, it was a crystal clear, starry night. I'm not sure why but my wife mentioned later the same thing I was thinking, the view out the top is just plain cool! No, it's not any different than having the top off completely but in early January when it's 40° outside and she would have otherwise been left in the garage, it's an oh so cool addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment