Thursday, September 27, 2012

Nakeder by the day

My hasty forward progress will end shortly (like 2 days from now) as [thank god] my wife and son will be back from a week trip to the great white north.  But until then I've been getting somewhere.

 Just in case you are wondering they aren't kidding about that note in the engine teardown book about keeping a oil catcher under the engine.  It's been dripping out through multiple rotations and left angles for days.  Mentioning Wayne's 911 Engine Rebuild book, I will call it gold about now, one MUST have it, read it a couple times and then expect to keep it open and greasy in this process.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Engine Yoke essay:

Here is a shot of my engine yoke, it IS a Porsche yoke and is crafted well and sturdy purchased on the bay of evil.  After reading enough favorable reviews on Pelican about it vs. the (3 times as expensive) other version I went ahead and got this one.

I think it's fine for the person such as myself that hopes not to be using it on a constant basis but I can see/justify from an engineering aspect why the other is more expensive.

One must make little spacers to use it on the right side of the case and not hinder the oil cooler.  I'd feel better if it was mating fully w/ the bell housing though.  I'm going to try to come up with something and/or re-situate it on the left side and see if it works any better.

Note:  initially I had my oil crossover pipe still on and I couldn't get the mount on the left side at all w/ it attached.  Which means if I move the yoke to the left side that pipe will have to get re-attached after the engine comes off the stand.  This shouldn't be an issue but? (what the hell do I know).

______________________________________________________________________________
One must be inventive when one works alone :) :

I'm waiting for someone to email me w/ choice words on my methods but it hasn't happened yet.  I don't really have anyone around that has much interest in helping me w/ these exploits (or that I feel I wouldn't be imposing on) so I end up doing it solo (noted before).

Since I'm not actually the super hero my 4 year old thinks I am (sad day when he figures out the truth), unable to lift 3 liter engines in the air w/ a single hand.....What you see here was my clever [in my head anyway, and hey!  it worked] method for getting 500lbs of Porsche magic on the engine stand.

I have a tranny jack which has a very high reach and a fairly large plate.  [nervous as shit!] I got the motor up high enough to slip the stand over the yoke.  At this point I had the forethought to realize once I put it down the tranny jack would be trapped so I placed my car jack under the front of the engine stand.  Once I (very slowly) let the tranny jack/engine/engine stand combo down I just had to jack up the front an inch or so to slip the tranny jack out.

Where there's a will..... :)

More to come, I'm still waiting on that pelican order so I can attack the cams and valve springs and continue down the rabbit hole.




3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Porsche Community? Our members will appreciate it.
    Members include: Porsche Owners, Experts, Enthusiasts, Collectors Clubs and Dealers.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Photos, Videos, Articles and Classifieds if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    The Porsche Community: http://www.vorts.com/porsche/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...is that a Hyundai Genesis peaking out from the outer driveway area? Funny, I too own a 911 and Genesis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are close, but not bad from not much more than a headlight. It's a Sonata, the family hauler. I like driving it a lot more when it's mitigated with several times per week of 911.

    ReplyDelete