Saturday, June 29, 2013

Comin' down the mountain

Today I finished with the paint stripper.  The weatherstrip glue is now mostly gone, and my vent windows and door top trim are both spaaarrrrkleeeyyy :)  I'm a magpie, sue me.  Moved her out in the sunshine for the first time in a few weeks so that I could thoroughly wash all the Citrustrip off and left her there to bake for a while to make sure I'd gotten all the water out.  The last thing I want to do is to re-boot the whole rust thing although I've taken some pretty long strides toward it's eradication.  The holes are now nicely plugged as well as 4 or 5 pretty huge ones left from the old aftermarket a/c.

I used fiberglass to fill these holes and found out I've developed an skin allergy to either the resin or hardener and broke out in itchy inflamed red bumps all over my face and arms (my hands were nicely protected by gloves....so I've got THAT goin' for me).  Between this and last week's chemical burn from being a complete dumbass and scratching my face with a gloved hand bathed in Citrustrip I looked pretty amusing......not so much to the lovely missus less than a week from her 20 year class reunion  (oops).  Fortunately, fastidious applications of ointment and nightly doses of benadryl had the whole mess mostly gone by Friday so I only looked like my standard issue goofy self :)

I've got to do the sound deadening work on the driver's door but otherwise reassembly begins tomorrow.









3 comments:

  1. Travis - Wondering what product you used for anti-rust on the floorpans along with what kind of sound deadening. A lot of the deadening products I'm finding are heavy and overbuilt. Love the look of the cleaned up floorpans in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J,

    I used brushed on POR-15 on all the exposed metal after cleaning off the surface rust. The sound deadening is Damplifier from Second Skin, Inc, I used their Heatwave product on the back deck instead of the original rubber piece. Still very happy with it all a year later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great - Appreciate the tip. Just bought some CitriStrip too for the old carpet adhesive. I'm 99% sure some will end up on my face too!

    ReplyDelete