Thursday, July 4, 2013

Leather, Vinyl and Wood

Yesterday was pretty automotively erotic, I got 2 big boxes at the door wafting the odors of re-purposed cows, glue and new German vinyl.  With the child-like wonder of unwrapping a Red Ryder BB Gun I exposed the treasures within.  I followed that with the same child-like impatience by immediately installing my brand spanking new, flawless dashboard.

It's amazing what new & fresh trim bits can do to make an old car look amazing again, or the inverse, amazing how little things like shrunken, hardened rubber & vinyl can make it look aging and broken down.

Note:  This dashboard & the door toppers mark one of 3 instances where I've decided to farm out some aspect of this car's renewal.  I'm glad I did it, I only hope the rest of my interior (done by me) lives up to the flawless perfection.





















I shipped this cracked, dried out, hot mess to George at AIR Motorsports in California.  He filled in the unneeded speaker grill, added new studs, repaired and recovered my dash delivering what you see above in about 2 weeks.

I'd studied pictures and how to's on how to DIY this part and none I saw looked quite as perfect as this.  For the thing you stare at every minute you are driving it just seemed to warrant perfection and that's what I got.



No comments:

Post a Comment