Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Shifting Improvements

So last week I went from having a vague, somewhat challenging shift action, to having not much rhyme or reason as to where I might find 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears. The day this got seriously bad I had to be super careful not to engage 1st when I wanted 3rd (or 5th). This, an enjoyable drive, did not make!

Past experience and some internet searches added shift bushings to my weekend to-do list. When I opened up the rear access panel (to get to the shift coupling) I found this! Needless to say I felt pretty sure the lion's share of my problems centered around it.








About 2 pleasant hours later I had the whole assembly from knob to coupler cleaned, re-greased, re-bushed and functioning as the good Dr. ordered. The pin for the coupler was a minor stumbling block that wanted to argue with me, but nothing to the magnitude of my past experience with the pedal cluster.

Now it changes gears with a nice slick and solid engagement, I've had a couple of other cars with nicer shift action but it now feels like a proper sports car.

No comments:

Post a Comment