Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where we are today...

We have come a long way baby! In just 5 months I've taken a giant jigsaw puzzle and turned it into a [mostly] functioning automobile.

I still have no top which means she stays tucked into the garage on days that there is any chance of turning her into a bathtub.

Just in the last week I made some adjustments and repairs that reduced the time of my startup procedure from 15 minutes to 30 seconds and made driving overall much better. Go Me :D

I've also been able to install several items collected for the most part from my previous post under the heading of others' generosity. Some of these made the car run better (fuel pump). Some made it look just a little closer to being a "complete" car (trim bits).

....I'm a constant reader of internet forums, I've mentioned this before. One small thing I find myself thinking this week is that predominately on Pelican Forums and Rennlist the cars posted there are "Cover Girls", pristine, just as the factory set them out, or painstakingly modified/improved. My own 911 is FAAAR from pristine, it's a factor of what I can afford more than anything else, I'd have certainly sought out a car that had everything working, hell, existing & in great shape if I had twice as much cash for the purchase but I'm not that guy.

I'd love to hear from others like myself that are probably not publicizing their "flawed" 911's, a constant work in progress. I started to post a thread as such but for whatever reason I chickened out. That makes me think there are many like me with these 25-40 year old cars that AREN'T perfect, and that still get heaped on love and enjoyment. I still show her off proudly, using my best pictures, but don't study too hard or you will easily find my huge list of missing parts :)

I've only had this old car for 5 months but I think it's eclipsed my previous 2 favorites out of my 20 or so cars for sheer coolness and attachment. Hopefully we have a long long time together and a year or 2 from now I can report she's almost a complete car, letting people oogle all her closeup shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment