Thursday, June 17, 2010

...Where I teach myself to be a F.I. Wizard


Today was a great day! I set out this morning, 20 minutes away into town to register and title my car. I admit to being a little nervous, I'm in the "getting to know you" phase but I've explored and tested to point where might as well jump in and work out the bugs.

The blast down the highway 15 miles was smooth and sweet, another 10 minutes through town/traffic was uneventful, idle good, power smooth through the whole rev range, etc. Here's where it gets interesting....after 1/2 hour in the DMV she's a bit hard to start but finally lit. Well, at this point I can't get an idle in traffic. As long as I'm on the gas no problems whatsoever but she'll die if I'm off the gas. I nurse her 10 more minutes further across town where I had an appointment, come out from there and again a little hard to start but not awful.

Leaving there I decide to take the route home that's longer but only has 2 traffic lights before I hit the highway. 20-25 pleasant minutes later I get off at my exit, I started to head home but noticed she's idling (albeit at about 500 instead of 800) fine again. So I ran one more errand (didn't shut the car off this time) for 10-15 minutes. (still idling fine).

Just as I get to my subdivision she's having trouble with idle again. Sooo, she likes being flogged, a run through the gears and a 3k-3500 rpm sustained is a good thing, but being warm and running at ~2k rpm is gumming something up.

I haven't figured out the solution yet but I'm arming myself with knowledge in the form of internet searches and going to perfect this lovely beast :).......I promise to remember the previous brake light lesson and check the simple stuff first ;)

Helpful comments from folks that know more than me are welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment