Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sorry Ossifer My old a$$ car's speedo doesn't work

Well, I can't use that one anymore :) I'd bought a replacement cable a while back but had yet to perform the contortions to replace it. As often happens once I was in there it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared.

On the passenger side nose of the tranny is a nut capturing the cable end. I got it loose in about 1 minute (after finding the damn thing and clearing the crud out of my eyes). Bend it down and pull and I come back with about 2" of cable after the pronged end, now we know why the speedo was dead. Switch to the front of the car and pull the rest of the cable out.

I made sure to run my hands through a bit of grease while threading the cable back in, re-tightened that bolt and attach the speedo end. Not more than 20 minutes later I've got a working indication of speed again.

I should note that I chose to leave the existing sheath in the car and thread in a new cable. Replacing the whole unit is not only a bit more $ but can be much more involved if it's never been out of the car. Time will tell if this was better or not, it was obvious that the cable & sheath had been replaced in the past and I wonder what caused it to fail....we shall see.

For now, "Yes officer, I was mildy ignoring the speed limit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment