Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ok, so I had to doctor my magnaflow


 I mentioned I got my new muffler pretty darn cheap, that's partly because it's pipes are shall we say...compromised.  I took it to a muffler shop and just like the local auto parts store, and the alignment shop and.... I get a young gentleman that doesn't seem capable of thinking outside of his muddy monster truck shaped box.

I went to a muffler shop in town, after he agreed the muffler itself was in fine shape and the overall fit of it lookd good I asked him if they could recreate what was already there with new tubing.  "Uhhh, maeuhn, I don't know how I'd do thaut.  Maybe I could take a Camaro muffler and ........ but it'd be kinda big and may not fit so..... Maybe about $400".  To which I smiled and replied "Thanks buddy, I can get something on-line premade for this for that or less."

So I went to the autoparts store, found a muffler mending kit with metal mesh and some epoxy like substance.  I wire wheeled the whole set of pipes and then cleaned them with carb cleaner, then proceeded to patch up the holes and smooth the epoxy on.


Voila, little header/exhaust paint and it's not completely awful.  I no longer have several very loud exhaust leaks, only 2 actually where my flanges don't seem to form a tight seal even with the new gaskets I installed, need to work on that.

I'm going to take it somewhere to get the tip rerouted (had to take my rear valance at first)  And I'll not be surprised in the slightest if I humbly report back (a'la my speedo cable adventure) that my repair failed miserably but at the moment it seems to be holding.


No comments:

Post a Comment