Sunday, August 4, 2013

I popped a cap in dat a$$

so each and every tank of gas that I've put in this car so far has gone like this:

Pull up to the pump, remember to cut the non-power steered wheel all the way to the left, now feel your way up to the top of the wheel well, push the rubber boot around the fuel neck out of the way and tug down on the spring loaded door release.  This isn't entirely comfortable, nor necessarily clean.  Oh yeah, don't forget you are cranked all the way to the left, better not to hit the extremely flammable pumping device or bang up your pretty car on those cold, heartless bollards.

Yesterday that all changed.  I was able to buy a brand new cable and knob to put where once there was none at all to the left of the steering wheel.  Now problem one was that I couldn't get the damn wire to come out under the claw no matter how I tried.  So I took the cotter pin out of the claw creating problem 2, how to get that infernal little mother &&^%% thing back together.

Well a search produced this which was incredibly helpful and ultimately saved the day.  Although I feel like his diagram regarding the spring direction is backwards, I don't have quite as much spring as there once was....but it's operating so it's staying this way until it isn't.

The final challenge was the cable stay, I didn't have one, never got anyone to respond to a WTB and couldn't seem to track down a part no.  I'm sure it's out there, and if my solution fails I'll make more efforts to find it as this simple, pull a knob and the gas flap magically jumps up is quite intoxicating.

I ultimately turned to my model aircraft supplies, found what is actually a tiny prop saver which fit perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment