Sunday, August 4, 2013

Wind in my hair.....not in my face

I was able to enlist the help of the resident hottie this morning to [re]install my windshield.  It was actually as incredibly easy to put in as it was to take it out.  Scary, because of the opportunity to turn a nice large piece of glass into a bucket full of trash in very short order, but ultimately easily accomplished.

After reading about it in several places (and waiting for said lovely Mrs.) I placed a nylon cord/rope (~1/8" thick) in the groove, starting in the middle at the bottom and ending at the top middle, overlapped by ~4".  I then went and grabbed the Astroglide.  My reading from more experienced than myself indicated either this or dish soap, my recent experience with soap getting rubber seals in place led me to feel it dried out too quickly, lets say experience with the other product leads me to feel there's a bit more "working time" available :)

So I lubed up the inner-most lip of the seal (which will slip over the body lip) and also the window channel and the body seam on the car.  We lined it up in the hole nice and even at which time I got in the car and started tugging on the cord slow and steady while she pushed in along where I was working.

I got one side down around the corner just at the dash and started back at the top working around to the same spot on the other side.  Then I carefully did along the dash, making sure the rubber wasn't left sitting on the flap of the dash but on the inside of the body seam.

Overall it worked incredibly easily, the seal just folds out replacing what was metal a moment ago with rubber.  I'm going to add a bit of sealant to the corners per recommendations I've read but will try to avoid using silicon if possible.

I remain convinced that there is close to nothing on these old girls that can't be done by a reasonably mechanically inclined home mechanic once you get the nerve up to try it for the first time.

Project status:
I've got to work on my targa top's fitment, new rubber on it as well as it's mating surfaces has it sitting kinda crazy and the window's & vents need to be aligned.  Once that's done I can assemble the door panels and put her back on the road while I tweak plenty of little odds and ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment